Sleep is so overlooked. Sleep is the best kept secret in the subjects of health, success and anti-aging.
We think that because we are grownups, we don’t need sleep anymore. We think that sleep is just for children. One of the crazy things that our mothers forced on us. In fact, we go through life sleep deprived and we don’t even notice. We have grown used to it. Yawning is normal: let’s just have another cup of coffee.
Let’s forget about the wisdom of your mother and see what scientists know about sleep deprivation. When you don’t sleep enough, your body produces cortisol. The hormone of stress. When your body sees that, it receives the message: “you are in mortal danger”. So it starts accumulating fat around the vital organs.
With this we increase the likelihood of the 3 big bad guys: Cancer, Diabetes and Heart Disease. Yes, all that because we don’t sleep enough.
And this is not all!
Effects of Sleep deprivation
- Cognitive impairment
- Memory lapses or loss
- Impaired moral judgment
- Severe yawing
- Symptoms similar to ADHD
- Impaired immune system
- Risk of diabetes type 2
- Increased heart rate variability
- Risk of heart disease
- Increased reaction time
- Decreased accuracy
- Growth suppression
- Risk of obesity
- Decreased temperature
What happens when we turn it around? Our entire life turns around. We start losing the weight. Our brain starts rejuvenating. Our skin starts rejuvenating. And you know, that my subject is love, service and dare, you’ll be able to do so when you are rested, present. You’ll be able to play with your kids when your body allows you to be there. You’ll be able to have that negotiation with your customers when you are present.
You need to sleep minimum 8 hours every evening. Yes, that means that you need to go to bed early every evening. That implies changes not only in habits, but also in your priorities. How could you go to bed early if there is this wonderful TV program or party in the evening? What if you changed your views on entertainment? What if instead of entertainment you started looking for deep sharing, play or learning? How would your relationships change? Be less concerned about “fun” and more focused in joy. Make a commitment with yourself to nourish your body, your soul, your life. In other words, make a commitment with yourself to go to bed early.
Build Better Sleep Habits
- Set your alarm clock around 9 pm
- Start switching off equipment: computers, tablets, wifi, telephones, radio, etc.
- Start switching off lights: learn to walk in the dark
- Start switching off yourself
- Create a self care night ritual from 9 to 10: a face massage, a neck massage, acupressure, a calming tea, brushing your teeth, wearing your best pajama, wearing your best socks, maybe some yoga… Create something that feels good and winds you down
- Create an awareness night ritual: list all the things/persons you are grateful for, list all your day successes, what element in you made them happen, what outcomes you want to see the next day
- Give your intuition a daily night assignment: your outcomes for the coming day. Your sleeping brain is brilliant. It will have access to efficient and elegant solutions that will amaze your logical brain. Try it. You’ll discover you have a genius inside.
Now back to you!
I would love to hear your wisdom. Please share with us
How do you improve your sleep? How do you prepare to have a good night sleep?
Your ideas are blessings to the world. Do share them here, in the comments section . Thank you in advance.
If this content inspired you to change your sleep habits, AND you know of someone who might be sleep deprived, please do help her/him out. Share these videos with him or her. We need more humans living their best life.
Thank you very much for reading, watching, sharing, commenting! We are building something amazing: the Heart Centered Economy.
To your brilliance,
Give your life priority. Sleep @BlancaVergara
Before falling asleep give your intuition assignments. Powerful and elegant solutions will awaken you every morning. @BlancaVergara
Grow younger. Sleep @BlancaVergara
Heal. Sleep @BlancaVergara
Grow younger. SLEEP @BlancaVergara
Featured Image by Betsssy